These adorned Valentine’s Day cookies resemble dialog coronary heart candies—so enjoyable for the vacation! My recipe for sugar cookies guarantees flavorful cookies with mushy and thick facilities, barely crisp edges, and flat tops for adorning with royal icing. The dough comes along with 7–8 easy components, and the cookies maintain their cookie cutter form within the oven.
To not toot my very own horn, however… I’ve completely *zero expertise* in terms of piping writing on cookies and desserts. Zero zip zilch. LOL. Pen and paper, nice! Piping frosting on cupcakes and flooding icing on cookies, completely manageable! However mix writing + piping, and I utterly lose management of my hand.
Lately, my proficient assistant Stephanie got here to my rescue, and helped me write on these dialog heart-inspired cookies. As a result of we simply can’t make Valentine’s Day cookies with out the enjoyable little sayings on high!
Dialog Coronary heart Candies
Should you aren’t aware of dialog coronary heart candies, they’re a Valentine’s Day staple right here within the U.S. They’re like little edible love notes! Pastel-colored, a bit chalky-tasting, and completely iconic, dialog hearts have been round for over a century. Do you know the corporate that produces them comes up with a brand new theme every year, and creates new sayings to associate with that theme? The sayings are often candy or humorous, however may even be sassy or sarcastic!
However you don’t want to purchase a bag of dialog hearts to make right now’s recipe. You simply want a rolling pin, a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and a bit inspiration for what to put in writing on high (I present some recommendations beneath).
So A lot to Love About These Valentine’s Day Cookies
These lookalike (however tasteabetter) heart-shaped treats begin with my trusty recipe for sugar cookies. The cookies are mushy and buttery with crisp edges. The dough holds its form splendidly within the oven. Sharp and exact; no misshapen hearts!
- Mushy, thick facilities with barely crisp edges
- Irresistible buttery vanilla taste
- Constituted of easy components
- Go away plain or taste with extracts
- Maintain form whereas baking
- Freeze superbly
- Straightforward-to-follow recipe utilized by newbie and skilled bakers alike
Reader Sharon commented: “I’ve made this recipe in all probability 50 occasions and I completely like it! It’s not too candy so if you add royal icing it makes it simply excellent. ★★★★★”
We’re utilizing royal icing for right now’s Valentine’s Day sugar cookie ornament, however you’ll be able to completely skip the writing and high them with buttercream like we do for these shamrock cookies, or use this simple glaze cookie icing as a substitute.
Overview: How one can Make Valentine’s Day Cookies
- Make cookie dough. You solely want 7–8 components. With so few components, it’s essential that you simply comply with the recipe carefully. Creamed butter and sugar present the bottom of the cookie dough. Egg is the cookie’s construction and vanilla extract provides taste. I nearly at all times add a contact of almond extract for added taste and extremely suggest that you simply attempt it too! Flour is an apparent addition, baking powder provides carry, and salt balances the candy. By the way in which, you’ll be able to create these Valentine’s Day cookies utilizing my chocolate sugar cookies too!
- Divide in 2 items. Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll it out to 1/4 inch thickness. You probably have problem evenly rolling out dough, do this adjustable rolling pin. Such a superb invention!
- Chill rolled-out cookie dough. With out chilling, these cookie cutter sugar cookies gained’t maintain their form. Chill the rolled-out cookie dough for no less than 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- Lower into shapes. Should you want recommendations for cookie cutters, I really like Ann Clark brand. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) For the cookies pictured right here, I used the three.5-inch dimension from this set. You simply want to verify your coronary heart cookie cutter is large enough to provide you loads of area to pipe the writing on—I take into consideration 3 inches is nice. You should utilize the identical cookie cutter for these raspberry sugar cookies, too.
- Bake & cool. Relying on dimension, the cookies take about 12 minutes.
- Embellish. Extra on the icing beneath.
The Trick Is the Order of Steps
Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge? That’s my signature sugar cookie trick!
Let me clarify why I do that. Identical to if you’re making chocolate chip cookies, to forestall the cookies from over-spreading, the cookie dough should chill within the fridge. Roll out the dough proper after you put together it, then chill the rolled-out dough. (At this level the dough is simply too mushy to chop into shapes.) Don’t chill the cookie dough after which attempt to roll it out as a result of will probably be too chilly and troublesome to work with. I divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out and extremely suggest you do the identical. Smaller sections of dough are merely extra manageable.
Right here’s one other trick! Roll out the cookie dough instantly on silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets so you’ll be able to simply switch it to the fridge. Decide the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. Should you don’t have sufficient room for two baking sheets in your fridge, you’ll be able to stack the items of rolled-out dough on high of one another (with parchment or baking mat in between).
Royal Icing Is Greatest for Writing on Cookies
This royal icing is my most popular sugar cookie icing as a result of it’s simple to make use of, dries in a pair hours, and doesn’t have a texture corresponding to hardened cement. (It’s really on the softer facet!)
I make the royal icing with meringue powder. Meringue powder takes the place of liquid uncooked egg whites, which is present in conventional royal icing recipes. It eliminates the necessity for recent eggs, however nonetheless supplies the identical consistency. You’ll find meringue powder in some baking aisles, most craft shops with a baking part, or shop for meringue powder online.
The trickiest half is touchdown on the proper royal icing consistency. My royal icing video is included within the written recipe beneath, so use that to assist information you.
Instruments You Want for Adorning These Coronary heart Sugar Cookies
- Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit: In my expertise, that is the BEST coloring for royal icing. The colour is wealthy and vivid. You solely want a teeny drip for the pastel colours in right now’s cookies. And for darker colours, 1 small drop. So these colours will final you a really very long time! I used the yellow, deep pink, violet, inexperienced, and orange; and pink for the writing.
- Disposable or reusable piping bags.
- Coupler(s): Should you solely have 1 piping tip and wish to beautify with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag by utilizing a coupler so you’ll be able to simply switch the piping tip to different baggage of coloured icing.
- Round Icing Tip #4: For piping the royal icing on high of every cookie (outlining and flooding).
- Round Icing Tip #2: For piping the writing on high of the iced cookies.
I caught with the shortest doable sayings and phrases as a result of, effectively… my wrestle. Some *quick* dialog coronary heart textual content inspiration:
- Me & U
Have enjoyable with it, and don’t fear about making them look excellent. You may even skip the writing for plain pastel Valentine’s Day cookies. Your Valentine will recognize your efforts it doesn’t matter what. 😉
Extra Valentine’s Day Desserts
See much more Valentine’s Day dessert recipes.
These adorned Valentine’s Day coronary heart sugar cookies resemble dialog coronary heart candies—so enjoyable for the vacation! I embrace the complete set of particular instruments and gear I exploit within the Notes beneath.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive pace till utterly clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry components to the moist components and blend on low till mixed. Dough shall be comparatively mushy. If the dough appears too mushy and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal elements. Place every portion onto a chunk of evenly floured parchment paper or a evenly floured silicone baking mat. With a evenly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough could be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Evenly mud one of many rolled-out doughs with flour. Place a chunk of parchment on high. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on high. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for no less than 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2–3 massive baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Fastidiously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand beneath it to assist take away it. Utilizing a heart cookie cutter (pictured cookies use the three.5-inch dimension), lower the dough into hearts. Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed slicing till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Word: It might not look like numerous dough, however you get numerous cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Organize cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11–12 minutes or till evenly browned across the edges. In case your oven has scorching spots, rotate the baking sheets midway via bake time. Enable cookies to chill on the baking sheets for five minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill utterly earlier than adorning.
- Make the icing: I’ve a video for how you can make royal icing beneath. Use that as your information for this step. Mix sifted confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder, and 9 Tablespoons of water in a big bowl. Utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat icing components collectively on excessive pace for 1.5–2 minutes. When lifting the whisk up off the icing, the icing ought to drizzle down and clean out inside 5–10 seconds. If it’s too thick, beat in additional water 1 Tablespoon at a time. I often want 10 Tablespoons, however on notably dry days, I’ll use as much as 12–14 Tablespoons. Needless to say the longer you beat the royal icing, the thicker it turns into. In case your royal icing is simply too skinny, simply hold beating it to introduce extra air OR you’ll be able to add extra sifted confectioners’ sugar. Yields about 3 cups of icing.
- Separate icing into 6 completely different bowls. (Or fewer bowls, relying what number of colours you need.) Stir in 1 tiny drop of the next colours into every bowl, 1 shade per bowl: pink, violet, inexperienced, yellow, and orange. The sixth bowl is for the writing. For that, stir in 2–3 drops of pink. You gained’t use the pink icing for a pair hours after the bottom icing units, so place a moist paper towel instantly on the floor of it. This prevents it from hardening.
- Spoon or pour the pastel icings into piping baggage (disposable or reusable) fitted with round icing tip #4. Should you solely have 1 tip and wish to beautify with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag by utilizing a coupler so you’ll be able to simply switch the piping tip to different baggage of coloured icing. Embellish cookies with coloured icing by piping a border across the edges after which filling it. Let the icing-covered cookies principally set, uncovered, for no less than 2 hours earlier than including writing.
- Spoon or pour the pink icing right into a piping bag (disposable or reusable) fitted with round icing tip #2. Write desired phrases/messages on the cookies (concepts/recommendations listed within the put up above!). Writing icing will set inside 2–3 hours.
- Adorned or plain cookies keep recent lined at room temperature for five days or within the fridge for as much as 10 days.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or adorned sugar cookies freeze effectively as much as 3 months. Anticipate the icing to set utterly earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. You can too freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough via step 3, divide in half, flatten each halves right into a disk as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the disks within the fridge, then deliver to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 4, then chill rolled-out dough within the fridge for 45–60 minutes earlier than slicing into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mat or Parchment Paper | Rolling Pin or this Adjustable Rolling Pin | Heart-Shaped Cookie Cutter | Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit | Disposable or Reusable Piping Bags | Couplers | Meringue Powder | Wilton Tip #4 | Wilton Tip #2
- Straightforward Glaze Icing: As a substitute of this royal icing, you should utilize my simple cookie icing if that’s simpler for you. Nonetheless, I discover it practically unattainable to put in writing with that icing as a result of it isn’t secure like royal icing.
- Remember to take a look at my high 5 cookie baking ideas, my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments, and right here’s the easiest way to ship cookies!
Key phrases: valentine’s day cookies, coronary heart sugar cookies