This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As an alternative of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mixture of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a beautiful texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, ensure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. This can be a great different to my common apple crisp recipe.
This gluten-free apple crisp will take a look at alllll your self management. I initially printed this recipe again in 2014, and it’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD. Each bit nearly as good as my basic apple crisp recipe! And dare I say even higher as a result of you’ve got the fabulous addition of maple syrup. Yum.
(By the best way, do you know I’ve a bit on my web site devoted to gluten-free recipes? I even have this gluten-free desserts web page.)
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Apple Crisp:
- Fast & simple: No pre-cooking, chilling, or waiting-for-it-to-cool steps
- Fall-favorite flavors of apple, cinnamon, maple, and brown sugar
- Crumbly, buttery oat and almond crisp topping
- Recipe doubles simply for serving a crowd
- Nobody will consider it’s gluten free!
I admire how simple it’s to organize fruit crisps. Whereas I like fruit pies with my selfmade buttery flaky pie crust, they are often slightly time consuming. Apple pie is a endlessly favourite dessert, however ready for it to chill might be downright torturous. With this crisp, we will dig proper in whereas it’s nonetheless heat!
Simple Apple Filling
- Apples: See beneath for the most effective apples to make use of. You want 5 cups of peeled, chopped apples, which is about 4 medium/massive apples.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of lemon helps brighten up the flavour of the apple filling—it tastes slightly flat with out it.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses content material in brown sugar provides a lot taste because it sweetens. It’s how I sweeten this apple galette, too.
- Maple Syrup: For sweetness with that unequaled maple taste. The apple-maple combo tastes like quintessential fall! Have you ever ever tried my wholesome apple muffins?
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances and enhances all the opposite flavors.
- Cornstarch: This helps the filling thicken because it bakes.
- Spices: Similar to in apple pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice add heat and depth of taste to this gluten-free apple crisp.
What Are the Greatest Apples to Use for Baking?
Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from smooth, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s greatest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples. For this crisp, I normally use 2 tart and a couple of candy.
- Tart apples I like to bake with: Granny Smith (in my view, that is the most effective total apple for baking), Braeburn, Jonathan, and Pacific Rose
- Candy apples I like to bake with: Jazz, Pazazz, Honeycrisp, Pink Woman, and Fuji
Peel & Slice Apples Into Chunks
You’ll be able to skip peeling the apples when you’d like, however many desire peeled apples in desserts. I take advantage of and love (affiliate hyperlink) this OXO peeler. Lots of crisp recipes use apple slices, however I desire chunks as a result of chunks simply match onto a spoon or fork. It’s additionally troublesome to get completely uniform slices, so some items might be a lot thinner than others—and which means mushy apples. 1-inch chunks which are between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick are perfect for this gluten-free crisp.
Toss the apple chunks with the remainder of the filling substances after which spoon/pour the apple filling right into a 9-inch pie dish or sq. baking pan.
Right here’s What You Want for the Topping
6 substances come collectively to make a scrumptious gluten-free topping:
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides a lot taste and softness, and pairs rather well with the maple taste within the filling.
- Oats: Entire rolled/old style oats are greatest on this topping. Be certain that to search for “licensed gluten free” on the label.
- Almond Meal: This replaces the standard all-purpose flour. Almond meal is solely floor almonds (earlier than reaching the stage of almond butter). For those who use blanched almonds and grind them up slightly extra high quality, you’ll get almond flour. Almond meal has slightly extra texture. You should utilize almond flour or almond meal; I’ve completed it each methods and both works.
- Cinnamon: A touch of cinnamon within the topping provides much more taste.
- Salt: Sweetness balancer/taste enhancer.
- Butter: Stirring in melted butter is what makes the crisp topping come collectively, all crumbly and scrumptious!
You should buy almond meal from the shop, but it surely’s very easy to make at house. Pulse sliced or slivered almonds in a meals processor till the almonds are pulverized. To keep away from the almonds grinding into an oily almond butter because of the processor’s warmth, pulse them with 2 Tablespoons oats. I be aware that within the recipe beneath.
Sprinkle the topping everywhere in the prime of the apple filling, and your gluten-free apple crisp is able to bake! No chilling, pre-cooking, cooling, or another steps that may additional delay the second of bliss whenever you dig in your spoon for that first chunk.
And naturally, don’t neglect the vanilla ice cream! No apple dessert is full and not using a scoop of vanilla ice cream on prime. And for a juicy pop of coloration, sprinkle some contemporary pomegranate arils on prime earlier than serving. (Completely elective, however look how fairly!) Speak about texture heaven.
Can I Make Different Gluten-Free Fruit Crisps?
Sure, you possibly can substitute the apples with cherries or pears, and even substitute 1 cup of the apples with contemporary cranberries. You may also use blueberries or peaches, however scale back the maple syrup within the filling down to three Tablespoons, as a result of each of these fruits get so juicy. Be happy to regulate the spices, based mostly on the fruit you’re utilizing.
This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As an alternative of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mixture of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a beautiful texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, ensure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish, cake pan, or sq. baking pan. Put aside.
- Filling: Stir all the filling substances collectively in a big bowl. Be certain that the apples are evenly coated. Unfold evenly into ready pan.
- Topping: Whisk the brown sugar, oats, and almond meal collectively. Break up any massive clumps of brown sugar. Whisk within the cinnamon and salt. As soon as mixed, stir within the melted butter. Sprinkle topping over the apples and end with a couple of slivered or sliced almonds (elective).
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or till the submitting is bubbly, the apples are slightly smooth, and the topping is browned. If it appears to be like just like the topping is browning too shortly, cowl the highest loosely with aluminum foil about midway via baking time. Permit to chill for five–10 minutes earlier than serving.
- Prime with pomegranate arils, if utilizing, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Comply with steps 2 and three within the recipe, then cowl the crisp and freeze for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Pie Dish, 9-inch Round Cake Pan, or 9-inch Square Baking Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Vegetable Peeler
- Apples: You need about 5 cups (about 600g) chopped apple chunks. For greatest taste, use a mixture of tart and candy varieties, similar to 2 tart Granny Smiths and a couple of apples of a sweeter selection like Honeycrisp, Pink Woman, or Fuji.
- Maple Syrup: Delivers a lot taste. And makes the apple filling additional juicy and gooey. Don’t go away it out!
- Almond Meal: You should utilize store-bought almond meal or almond flour, or you may make your personal. Begin with 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds. Pulse them, together with 2 Tablespoons of the 1 cup oats referred to as for on this recipe, in a meals processor till a crumbly meal has fashioned. Don't run the meals processor constantly; you might find yourself with almond butter. Fast pulses are greatest. You'll find yourself with about 1/2 cup almond meal.
Key phrases: gluten free apple crisp