Chef Rosario’s Vacation Pasta Casserole
Sono arrivate le feste!
The vacation season is right here! Is there a greater strategy to rejoice than sitting on the dinner desk together with your family members sharing a terrific pasta meal? There’s something so festive about pasta casseroles—they’re heartwarming and scrumptious, they give the impression of being nice, and so they reheat completely. When now we have vacation meals, my spouse and sons hold returning to the pasta casserole dish to sneak little tastes of pasta, a few penne, say, or a thin rectangle of lasagne clinging to the aspect.
However what precisely is everybody’s favourite pasta? There isn’t a simple reply to this query: to seek out the precise reply we should look inside our most cherished reminiscences. Looking for such reminiscences is an interesting journey. I’ve spoken in earlier posts of my mom’s lasagne and of the pasta al forno I used to make for my household when my children had been little, so this yr I’ll ring within the season with a pasta casserole that encompasses a topping of roasted butternut squash and crispy Parmigiano Reggiano. I hope it’ll encourage your vacation dinners as nicely.
NOTE: Be happy to make use of any type of pasta, together with fusilli, penne, rigatoni, mezze maniche and even spaghetti!
PASTA AL FORNO WITH GOLDEN BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Serves 4–6 individuals
- 4 Cups entire milk
- ½ Stick butter (4 Tablespoons)
- ½ Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Heaping cup of shredded Gruyère cheese
- ¾ Cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt for pasta water to style
- 12 oz good high quality dry pasta (any variety!)
- ¾ Cup pasta water
- 1 Small butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- A couple of leaves of recent sage, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to style for squash and bechamel
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels.
- Convey a big pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Peel, take away seeds, and ½” cube a small butternut squash to acquire about two cups of diced squash. Toss diced squash in a bowl with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and the chopped sage. Season with salt and pepper to style. Put aside.
- For the béchamel, scald the milk over medium warmth and hold sizzling till prepared to make use of (watch out to not boil).
- In a separate pot, soften the butter over medium warmth. As soon as the butter has melted, add the flour, whisking till it has all been absorbed by the butter, to acquire a golden roux. Cook dinner the roux for a couple of minutes till aromatic, however don’t let it darken. Add the milk in two or three installments, whisking vigorously to acquire a clean and silky sauce. Watch out to not let the sauce type lumps! Cook dinner over low warmth for 10 minutes, persevering with to whisk. Be sure that it doesn’t burn. Season with salt and pepper to style.
- As soon as the pasta water has come to a fast boil, add salt, after which the pasta.
- Cook dinner in keeping with package deal instructions minus two minutes (the pasta can be completed within the oven, and you do not need it to overcook).
- Earlier than draining the pasta, reserve ¾ cup of the pasta water so as to add to the béchamel; the residual starch within the water will add creaminess to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta earlier than it’s totally cooked, as indicated above, and return it to the pot (no want to relax it).
- Add the reserved pasta water to the béchamel and blend totally. Fold within the cheeses, reserving about ¼ cup of Parmigiano and blend to include evenly.
- Pour the nice and cozy béchamel over the cooked pasta. Combine gently however totally and switch to a medium-size baking dish. Pasta needs to be JUST BELOW the highest of the dish. Easy out the highest. Cowl the pasta with the seasoned diced squash in a single layer and place on the center rack of the pre-heated oven for roughly half-hour or till the sauce begins to bubble and the squash is tender and golden.
- Take away from oven and sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano evenly on prime. Place again within the oven for just a few extra minutes to evenly brown the highest.
- Fastidiously take away from oven and prepare to welcome a brand new household favourite!!