Apple pie cookies have all of the elements of apple pie, however in cookie type! My recipe makes use of a home made apple pie filling and even consists of an non-compulsory “a la mode” ornament. Recipe features a how-to video!
Apple Pie in Cookie Kind
These apple pie cookies are connoisseur cookies impressed by traditional apple pie! They’re enjoyable to make (a course of, however a worthwhile one!) and can be a very distinctive and welcomed addition to your Thanksgiving dessert desk.
These apple pie cookies have:
- Flavorful cookie base (similar to what I exploit for my espresso cake cookies) that’s fastidiously designed to not be too candy or wealthy.
- Genuine apple pie filling! The filling does have to be cooked on the range first; I speak extra about this beneath.
- Crumbly, buttery streusel topping constituted of my simple streusel recipe that requires NO pastry cutter (anybody else completely hate that factor?)!
- Easy vanilla glaze and lovely buttercream ice cream scoops (!!) 🤩
Okay, technically the glaze and “ice cream” are non-compulsory, however aren’t they enjoyable? It’s possible you’ll count on the “ice cream” to be too candy to be palatable (particularly when you see how a lot sugar goes into it), however, virtually weirdly, it’s not. It’s largely only for present, however actually, it truly tastes good, too! In the event you don’t really feel like doing each, I’d suggest a minimum of doing the glaze.
YES, there are various elements to this recipe and a number of steps, however these cookies are such a enjoyable challenge that I actually loved making. I hope you like them too!
What You Want
You want fairly just a few components to make these apple pie cookies (15 to be precise, when you make the glaze and ice cream too!), however most are pantry staples.
- Apples. We’re primarily making an apple pie filling (if it seems acquainted, it’s as a result of it’s intently tailored from my superb apple turnovers) for the facilities. A agency, tart apple, like Granny Smith, works finest right here, they maintain their form effectively with out changing into mushy or too weepy and hold the cookie from being too candy. Precooking the apples works finest, since uncooked apples don’t grow to be mushy sufficient or yield sufficient taste (even after being baked within the cookies).
- Brown sugar. I exploit mild brown sugar in practically each part of those apple pie cookies! In the event you don’t have any available or run out throughout baking, learn my put up on how one can make brown sugar.
- Cornstarch. This thickens our filling. I additionally use some within the cookie dough to forestall the cookies from spreading an excessive amount of and to maintain them good and mushy.
- Butter. We’ll use softened unsalted butter for the cookies and melted (sure, melted!) butter for the streusel. Not like conventional recipes, my streusel recipe comes collectively in seconds, no pastry cutter required. That is all due to melted butter!
- Vanilla. I exploit common vanilla extract within the cookie dough and vanilla bean paste within the glaze and “ice cream” scoops. The paste has little flecks of vanilla beans, which makes the buttercream scoops look much more like real-deal ice cream. In the event you don’t have vanilla bean paste, common vanilla extract will work simply fantastic!
SAM’S TIP: In the event you overlook to set your eggs out forward of time, allow them to sit in a bowl of heat water for 10-Quarter-hour. It will deliver them to room temperature rapidly.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
The right way to Make Apple Pie Cookies
Apple Pie Filling
- Stir collectively the apples, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a pan over medium-low warmth. As soon as the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, improve the warmth to medium and let the combination come to a simmer.
- Proceed simmering for five minutes, stirring sometimes. Take away from the warmth as soon as the apples are tender, then pour right into a heatproof bowl. Switch to the fridge to chill whilst you make the cookie dough.
- Cream collectively the butter and sugars till mild and fluffy.
- Stir within the eggs and vanilla till mixed.
- Whisk the dry components collectively in a separate bowl.
- Regularly add the dry components to the moist components till utterly mixed, then cowl and place the dough within the fridge to sit back.
- Mix the flour, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl, then drizzle the cooled melted butter overtop.
- Claw/toss the combination collectively with a fork till it’s clumpy. Don’t work it collectively an excessive amount of or you’ll create a paste.
- Roll the dough. Scoop about 2 Tablespoons and roll between your palms till easy. Indent the facilities of every cookie utilizing the again of a cookie scoop.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling into every indentation.
- Press about 1 tablespoon of streusel (I simply do a small handful) over the filling, ensuring to utterly cowl it.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes at 350F or till the sides flip a lightweight golden brown. Let the cookies cool utterly earlier than adorning, they’ll be a bit fragile after they’re heat.
SAM’S TIP: When indenting the cookies, don’t press too far. If the underside of the indent is simply too shallow, then the the filling may grow to be too heavy for it and fall via the underside.
- Cream the butter, salt, and vanilla till easy, then regularly add the sugar ½ cup at a time. Wait till every addition is absolutely included earlier than including the following.
- Examine the frosting consistency: it ought to be a stiff, rollable dough that’s virtually like play dough. If it’s not, add extra powdered sugar.
- Whisk collectively the glaze, then drizzle it over your cookies.
- Add a 1 tablespoon sized scoop of the buttercream over the glaze. Let the glaze harden, then get pleasure from!
Continuously Requested Questions
You would, however why would you?
Alright, alright! I perceive, every little thing can’t at all times be from scratch and I don’t see why store-bought wouldn’t work right here.
However for the file, I like to recommend making your personal. Do-it-yourself could have one of the best taste and sweetness stage, whereas store-bought may very well be inconsistent or simply method too candy. In the event you should use the premade form, pinky-promise me you’ll strive it someday sooner or later from scratch and be aware that you will want about 1.5 cups of pie filling.
Sure! Every part of those cookies (besides the vanilla glaze) could be made and saved prematurely. The pie filling could be saved within the fridge in a sealed container for 3 days, the dough could be lined and saved within the fridge for 3 days, the streusel could be saved in a sealed container at room temperature for (you guessed it) 3 days, and the buttercream could be saved in a sealed container at room temperature for two days or within the fridge for a minimum of per week. Observe that the buttercream will get very stiff within the fridge, so I might suggest scooping/rolling it earlier than chilling.
I don’t see why not! You would strive utilizing any of the fillings from my hand pies; simply be sure to let it cool earlier than including it to the cookies. Beware that any fillings which are notably juicy/moist may trigger the cookie to grow to be soggy.
So there you’ve got it. Apple pie cookies are the newest, Fall-infused addition to my rising connoisseur cookie assortment.
In the event you’re having fun with these barely outrageous cookies, let me know what others you’d wish to see (and take a look at my blueberry muffin cookies and strawberry cheesecake cookies within the meantime!).
Take pleasure in! -Sam
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do this recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Apple Pie Cookies
Servings: 24 servings
Buttercream “ice cream”
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Mix apples, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a medium sized skillet over medium-low warmth. Stir steadily till butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
3 cups (350 g) cored, peeled, diced apples, ¼ cup (50 g) mild brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons (28 g) butter, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
Enhance warmth to medium and produce to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes, stirring sometimes, till apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Take away from warmth and pour right into a heatproof bowl. Place within the fridge whilst you put together the dough.
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
Mix softened butter and sugars in a big bowl and use an electrical mixer (or a stand mixer with paddle attachment) to beat till mild and fluffy.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar, 1 cup (200 g) mild brown sugar
Add eggs and vanilla and stir till mixed.
2 giant eggs, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
Regularly add dry components to moist, stirring till utterly mixed.
Cowl bowl with plastic wrap and place within the fridge to sit back barely whilst you put together the streusel.
Soften butter in a small bowl and permit to chill till not heat to the contact.
6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
Mix flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon in medium-sized bowl and stir till mixed.
1 ¼ cups (155 g) all-purpose flour, ½ cup (100 g) mild brown sugar, ⅓ cup (65 g) granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Drizzle cooled butter into flour combination and claw along with a fork till you’ve got a clumpy streusel.
Take away apple filling and cookie dough from fridge.
Scoop dough by 2 Tablespoon-sized balls and roll till easy. Place on baking sheet and make an indent within the cookie (I used the again of the cookie scoop to make indent – don’t push too deep or make the cookie too skinny or the cookie gained’t be capable of assist the burden of it after baking)).
Scoop a stage Tablespoon of filling into the indent you simply created
Take a small handful of streusel (about 1 Tablespoon) and nestle gently into the filling. Use sufficient to utterly cowl the filling.
Switch to middle rack of 350F (175C) oven for 13-14 minutes or till edges start to show a lightweight golden brown. Enable to chill utterly earlier than adorning with glaze and “ice cream” (beneath, if utilizing).
Buttercream “ice cream”:
Beat butter, salt, and vanilla in giant bowl utilizing an electrical mixer till butter is easy.
½ cups (113 g) unsalted butter, ⅛ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, ready till every cup is totally combined earlier than including extra. As soon as completed, the buttercream ought to be very stiff, virtually a play-dough like consistency. It ought to be simple to roll right into a ball. Add extra powdered sugar, if wanted, to achieve correct consistency.
3 cups (375 g) powdered sugar
Put aside whilst you put together the vanilla bean glaze.
Whisk collectively powdered sugar with 1 Tablespoon of milk and vanilla bean paste till utterly mixed. Add extra milk, a splash at a time, till glaze is easy and ribbons off of your whisk.
1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar, 1-2 Tablespoons complete milk, ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Drizzle glaze on cookie. Scoop buttercream by one Tablespoon sized scoop and place on cookie, gently nestling onto the glaze (which can assist “cement” it).
Enable glaze to harden earlier than having fun with.
That is about 4 small apples for me. I like to recommend Granny Smith apples for finest outcomes. They’re tart and agency and lend themselves effectively to those cookies. Alternatively chances are you’ll use one other tart, agency apple. Softer apples, like Mcintosh, aren’t perfect.
Don’t make the indentation within the cookie too deep, if there’s not sufficient cookie dough on the underside the cookie gained’t be secure.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as per week.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 16g | Saturated Fats: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 501IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.